Sunday, July 10, 2011

Welcome!

Molo! That's 'hello' in Xhosa, one of South Africa's eleven official languages.

I told myself I would create the first post once I had finally completed all my packing. And that day was today! I also wanted to start during my last weekend in the states before  I leave. I am officially leaving on Tuesday the 12th and will arrive in Port Elizabeth on the 13th. The total travel time is 25 long hours.

After planning for this semester abroad for many months now, the day is quickly approaching. I'm excited to start the journey back to the Motherland where I'll be on my home continent after 16 years. One of the things I hope to gain on my experience is insight on South African culture, especially the history and effects of apartheid. There is so much more but I'm sure I'll mention it in some later posts.

I really want family and friends to be able to keep up with what I am doing given that I may not be able to talk to them everyday. I figure this will be easier to keep up with. Feel free to send e-mails or Facebook me, but this will be the best way to see all the things I am doing while I am abroad from 12 July to 2 December.

So I'll keep this first post short and sweet and hope you enjoy as I go through this next chapter in my journey :]

I'll end with a quote from Steve Biko who was a South African activist. I love quotes so there will be plenty more to come!

"The most power weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed"

No comments:

Post a Comment