Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Flight Over

13 July
I was finally able to get on flight to Johannesburg (Joberg). I was the first person the standby list so I was praying hard that someone wouldn’t be there or would miss their flight. Funny how that works, someone probably needed a seat on my original flight on the 12th and was praying for the same thing. I was grateful I got on because I couldn’t walk around ATL airport any longer. I had walked through A-E of the airport looking at shops, food courts, etc. If anyone is ever in ATL and needs to know their way around the airport, I got you. 
On the flight I sat next to a couple heading back to Joberg. His wife was originally from Mississippi and moved to SA 6 years ago after they met and got married. And they’re expecting, and its a boy. So she pre-warned me that she would be getting up a lot. But really I ended up getting up and down more than they did the whole trip. They recommended to me that I drink lots of water and get up and walk every two hours. I did end up staying really hydrated, but as for the walking, I kept that to just when I went to the bathroom. It was so cute during the flight he kept giving her foot massages. And he talked about how nervous he was to have a child and how he realized that he was going to be responsible for a a persons life. I told him that at least he realized that, seems like some don’t even think of that.
The people behind me (father, mother, son) were also from Joberg and all these people had the SA accent but more American so I could understand it fine. The older couple in front of me was on a missions trip to somewhere in SA that I forgot the name of. 
The trip was about 17 hours long. The first thing I did was read the Dr. Suess book, “Oh the Places You’ll Go!” that my co-workers got for me on my last day worked. I love this book, and reading it after such a long time, its always applicable. 
I watched Big Mamma: Like Father like Son, Wanda the comedian, and all the X-Men movies including Wolverine. The food was decent, nothing great, and it doesn’t help that I’m picky with food. But I ate the chicken/rice dinner they offered and just ate snacks the rest of the time. They had a pizza/hot picket dinner, but it smelled bad to me so I left it alone. I also finally bough the book “Midnight” by Sister Souljah that I have been wanting to read. It’s great already. Maybe I’ll keep another blog and give feedback on that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment