Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Monkeys are Friends

18 July (Monday)
Happy Birthday Madiba! It was the first thing that was on the TV when I turned it on this morning. Today is also a day of service where everyone is encouraged to spend 67 minutes doing something for the community. 67 because that is how long he was in jail for. Crazy huh?
So I didn’t sleep well at all. It was COLD. And since I haven’t bought any sheets or comforters yet I used the blanket I brought from home, which luckily is pretty warm. I went to bed super early like 08:30 and woke up at 02:00, couldn’t fall asleep until like 04:30 and woke up again at like 07:00. 
My roommates and I called a cab to get to campus which was R40. Orientation consisted of a lot of presentations and an introduction to the entire staff including the International Students head-honcho. We talked about what we would do all week etc, etc. 
We ate lunch at a place on campus and I had chicken and chips (fries) and it was alright I was hungry so I could have ate anything. After that I went to the International office to check on the status of my luggage. And...it finally got here! I was so happy and relived. So they brought it on campus and then they took me to my place of residence so I could drop it off. 
I went back on campus for the Welcome Dinner they had arranged for International students. The sandwich was somewhat like a sloppy joe but with vegetables in it, and the bun was friend and kind of sweet. I ate the first one really quick but by the time I started the second one, I could feel how heavy the oil was, so I stopped eating it. Shortly after my roommates, 2 other German students, and myself walked home in order to get an idea of how far it was on foot. It took about 45 minutes. We are hoping to get bicycles so we don’t have to spend money on a taxi every morning. 
I was able to unpack and get everything organized. I got a outlet adaptor so I could charge my laptop. It felt so good to have all my things and finally get comfortable. Talked to my parents for a little bit but my phone card expired so our conversation was cut short. Tomorrow I’ll register for classes so hopefully that goes well. 
FYI--I miss everyone, hope everyone is well! When I get my internet stick, I’ll be able to Skype :]
Oh yea I forgot...there’s monkeys on campus, little ones and they just run around and get into things. Some people were scared but I like them. They’re pretty cute,I kind of want a pet monkey now. I don’t think my parents would go for that though!

No comments:

Post a Comment