Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Registering for Classes

I didn't have to be on campus until 10 today but I still woke up at 06:00. Seems like I'm an even earlier riser since I've been here. It's all this sleep I've been getting. Seems like I'm stressing less also. So I woke up did some reading for about an hour then just took my time getting ready for the day.

I went to the internet cafe nearby and had breakfast and then got a taxi with 4 other Americans to head to campus.

Registering for classes was very hard. I mean I'm use to doing it online where you know everything right away and can make changes on site. But here it's all paper, and then even then its not 100 percent guaranteed. I won't be able to take two of the courses that were approved by the CBA so I'm trying to figure all that out and hope for the best. So some classes have like 3 meeting times that you have to go to the first week, but it doesn't stay like that the whole time, its left to the professors preference and how many students take the class on what times stay. And then there was a whole bunch of other stuff like what campus, what time (they won't let us take evening classes because it gets dark), whether its full-time or part-tim ad blah blah blah. But hey that is life and I have the rest of the week to try and work it out.

I also caught a cab with 2 other American girls to a mall about 20 minutes away so I could finally buy bedding. So glad I got sheets and a comforter now. The little things like that really do make a difference. I also got a phone, so I am officially part of the SA network.

I got to Skype with my parents so I was happy. I'm use to talking to them everyday most of the time if not every other day so I appreciate those little moments we have together. I wish they could come visit me here, but that would be a hassle. But I told them we will come visit one day in the future.

So I'm here sharing lasagna with one of my roommates and just relaxing. Tomorrow is a early morning with a campus tour so I'll probably go to sleep early. Everyone is going to do Karaoke for one of the Norwegian girls, but I'm full and probably will curl up with a book. Plus I got the weekend for all that.

And I haven't forgotten about the pictures...they just take SUPER long to upload to the blog. I may try and just put them on Facebook sometime.

Bye for now!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deana,
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself in SA. I am happy for you and I hope you get to learn a lot from the motherland. Bring back a lot of stories. We miss u. I enjoy your blog (although it's hard to read white on black...tough on the eye :) )

    ReplyDelete