Sunday, July 17, 2011

Time? Not an issue

15 July
I woke up this morning at like 5 a.m. just couldn’t seem to sleep. I listened to music and watched the local news. I tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t so just continued reading my book “Midnight.” I was checking out and was told that I could get free breakfast and that the money I had paid for the room was reimbursed because the university paid for it. So I ended up with all my money back which was good. The hotel receptionist were really nice and I felt so much at home. I haven’t felt out of place much. I still didn’t get my luggage so I’m a lil worried but I hope that it turns up by Sunday when I am back at the campus. We  went to TS... the farm about an hour and a half from PE. We were suppose to leave for TS at 9 but didn’t leave until like 10:30. I told myself from the start not sweat the time thing because it seemed like things would be chaotic. There are a lot of German students here. Germans and Americans, it seems like that it the majority here. I have heard so many new names I can’t keep track. Seems like everyone is speaking in their native language. I met a girl from Clarke-Atlanta so we’ve been staying by each other, being Americans and all. Of course I also have the 4 other UNI students, so its good to see familiar faces. On the way to TS this one guy in our bus kept sayign how bad he needed whiskey, it was funny to me. Also it seems like everyone smokes. So I’ll probably come back with second hand cancer from smoke, seeing that I can’t escape it (laughing but serious).  We got to TS and it was beautiful. The weather and the whole landscape. We took a hike through what they call the farm area, but it was rocky and had a waterfall. For those who know me, I don’t do much with the outdoors, so be proud I actually sucked it up and enjoyed it for awhile Tomorrow we will go ziplining (i am hoping I am brave enough to do it). After I saw the actual lines on our walk I was a little skeptical. 
The food here is....interesting...I try everything but don’t really eat that much. I hope when I get back on campus I can find food that I like. Which reminds me...i had a CARAMEL MUFFIN! Lol for those who know my complete love with caramel, you understand. So I will be buying a whole bunch of those. They were sweet and had little caramel surprises. I love it. 
So anyway we had a guy playing drums come. It was super fun. I was really getting it in with the drum beats. The guy said I must be african the way I beat the drums. So when I told him I was Congolese-American he started talking to me about Congo Square. We had a nice convo on that. My hands are hurt and swollen though and I had my ring on so yea its stuck. I enjoyed myself though. 
By 9 o’clock I was already ready for bed. I’m sure I’ll wake up at 5 again if I go to sleep. 
Still haven’t spoke to the parents but I e-mailed them earlier. Almost no one had a phone yet and the ones that do are from other countries so it’s not very beneficial. I should be able to call them Sunday though. I hope they’re good. 


17 July
I have a lot more to write but my battery is almost dead on the laptop. I need to find where I can buy an adaptor. But I was able to move into where I will be living. It's really nice. I'll go back and add pictures to the posts when I get a chance. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad youbare having a great time and I will try to follow these extremely long post as much as I can signed cmc

    ReplyDelete