Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sabbath

I was finally able to find a contact person who could provide me with church information of SDA services (Seventh Day Adventist). I went to the service today and it was quite an experience. I would say that there was about 80 of us total, give or take. Today was also YWA, with a Serving Women theme. The service was set to last the whole day, basically 9-1230 then 3-about 5 p.m. I only stayed for the first half. They did praise time, then Sabbath school for the whole group, then we split up into two different Sabbath school teachings. Then we got back together as a group for a presentation on what ‘Serving Women’ meant. They sang the hymns in Xhosa, but they did have the English translation on the screen. The English translation was British English so it was still somewhat different. SO everyone in that place could sing--like REALLY sing. I felt like I was sitting in a room with professional gospel singers lol, but seriously. And then when they made announcements the lady was saying when and where people who are part of the choir should meet. And I was thinking to myself “Everyone must be in the choir then.” They sang with ease and even harmonized. I bet I was the only one who couldn’t sing in there. I will not be going to any choir practices just an FYI. But it was really nice and everyone was really welcoming though and I enjoyed myself and the message was nice. Another things I noticed--I was the only girl wearing dress pants in there. All the other girls were wearing skirts and dresses. I definitely stood out. And it didn't help that they made me stand up and introduce myself. 
I use to work with a lady at JD who was from PE, and although I knew I wanted to go to SA for my study abroad, my interest was definitely increased when she talked about it. Anyway I got to finally meet her mom here. We went out for lunch and it was very lovely. She talked to me about the city and growing up here and places to go (and not go). So the day was really nice. 
I’m still trying to fight this cold I have, but I can’t seem to kick it. Hopefully the weather improves soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment