Tuesday, August 2, 2011

1 August

1 August
Aside from all the hectic running around, miscommunication, waiting in long queues (lines) the first week was classes went pretty well. The system for registering is just so much slower and confusing than what I am use t back home but I got though it pretty well. I wasn’t able to take a course a need for CBB but hopefully the philosophy course I am signed up for will be approved. I really like all my classes but my favorite so far is my International Marketing class. The lady is a Xhosa woman and she has so much energy when she is lecturing and already has my full attention. The class is a level 3 course (our senior level classes) and so there is more work, but it is a subject that I enjoy so I think it’ll be fine. Its chilly in the classrooms. They don’t have insulation, because they don’t really need it. Its interesting to see locals wearing hats and gloves in like 50-60 degree weather. I’ve been getting by with a light jacket but I’ll probably get something heavier because I can’t focus in a cold classroom. On Tuesday I went karoking with a bunch of the other international students sine I didn’t have a class the next day. Most people could obviously not sing but others got up there like it was American Idol. And I learned that almost nothing closes before 5 a.m. here which is very different from back home. I was definitely tired by midnight and went home but the next day most of the other students told me they stayed out until like 3 a.m.
Friday and Saturday were mostly spent braiding; my own hair and one of the other Americans from Georgia. Saturday we went out to eat a Barney’s and it was fun because they had live music there and they took requests. It was a nice and relaxed atmosphere. Then we went to the Boardwalk area to the News Cafe, which was more like a indoor/outdoor club the way it is set up at night. Surprisingly I met a fellow Congolese there and we talked in Lingala throughout the night. It was good meeting someone from my real home. 
Sunday a group of us went to the open market and walked around. they had a lot of things there such as: clothes, paintings, sunglasses, sculptures, toys, etc. I wish I could buy so many things, but I don’t know how I would get everything home. I met another Congolese at the market. It was a lady and her sons selling jewelry and home decorations. She was really nice, we were talking in Lingala to each other for like 30 minutes. I’m thinking about going there a few Sundays a month just so I can keep my Lingala up and maybe learn more about South Africa from our talks. 

Some some quick observations. I have a lot of them put thought I'll put them up as they come to mind.
  • They drive on the left side of the road, so you would think its the same for walking. But its never consistent so I always feel like I’m swerving down walkway. 
  • The cabbies can be loud, smelly, and we’re usually squeezed in there like sardines. So why do I like riding them? I always make it a point to talk to the locals or whoever is on there. I always get some interesting stories, and sometimes I’ve gotten tips on PE life from the riders. Plus they’re way cheaper than the taxi.
  • Most of the girls on campus are always dressed up with heels and boots. I don’t know how they walk around campus like that. I will not be participating. That would be just what I need--to fall or slip going up and down the many stairs on campus. Plus its all brick and stone. I think I’ll pass and stick to my sneakers and regular boots. 
  • The guys especially on the cabbies address girls by “sister” or “mama” if they’re older. I like that a lot. 
  • Guys everywhere use the same pick up lines. 
  • I can pass for being a black south african--if I don’t talk.. Right when I say “hi” or “hello” they know I’m not from here. So much for blending in :]
  • Most students on campus are always on their phones or listening to a mp3/ipod player. 
  • Bartering is allowed! And I’ve gotten plenty of discounts since I’ve been here...yayy
  • Shopping bags at the grocery store are not free...so its good to buy the reusable ones


No comments:

Post a Comment